Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2012

Keep 'em Growing in Your Kitchen Window... Just in Case

I started a little experiment this spring that appears to be going well, so I thought I’d share it with you.

In addition to planting heirloom seed that produces viable seed that can be harvested for the following year’s garden, I decided to try my hand at potatoes purchased at the local health food store.  I selected several organic red potatoes and organic sweet potatoes and started them in water in my kitchen window.  One of each actually rooted and grew, which surprised me somewhat because of the growth retardant put on potatoes.  It did take a couple of months to see the first roots, but they did indeed start.  


The red potatoes are hardly “indoor” plants, but keeping 10 pounds of organic red potatoes in your kitchen cabinet for purposes of planting just might be worth it if you get even half of them to grown.  As for the sweet potatoes, once you’ve found several that take root, make sure you change the water every day and watch the lovely green and purple leaves grow into beautiful house plants.  The slips can be removed and planted outside when needed.  They’re a great “just in case” food.

I’ve also tried growing organic navy beans in a planter in my living room.  So far, the plants are tall, strong and healthy.  If they actually produce beans is another subject, however.  Still, it may be worth it to keep a few bags handy to randomly toss around outside should things get really hard.  I’ll keep you posted as to how they do.
 
I hope you have your heirloom seed garden in full swing or have joined a community gardening center and have fresh vegetables coming your way.  If not, purchase heirloom seed from a reputable dealer and stash them away in your freezer for safekeeping until your next growing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment