Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Passion of Terms

So often I’m told that not only is Peak Oil a myth, its only true function is to fuel debate and controversy during political discussion or to encourage heated exchange at the dinner table.  How many times, I wonder, have people come to blows over the term “peak oil,” and how many of those people were ready to defend it or oppose it to the death?  Extremes aside, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what anyone calls what is happening in the world today.  Call it woddle doddle if you’d like.  Let’s just make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

For me, saying “peak oil” is a simple way to describe a systemic failure without having to micro-analyze every aspect of the failure itself.  Faltering economies, banking systems, and currencies, along with food shortages, an exploding population, water shortages, poverty, and starvation are all a part of a larger picture – which needs to be called something.  But what?  

I suppose where my confusion comes in, is that I don’t find it difficult at all to give cheap oil credit for all of the wonderful accomplishments we’ve made in science, medicine, and technology, or for the incredible rise in our standard of living – and believe me, I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.  But, what I don't understand why is it so hard to recognize that what brought us up this ladder is also just as capable of pushing us down the other side?

In any case, I’m open for suggestions.  What would YOU call it?

No comments:

Post a Comment